When you think about how far user interface design has come since computers became ubiquitous in our homes it is truly amazing. The days of old blue screen monitors with pixelated text is gone, thankfully. And yet there is still a lot of confusion about its true function in our industry.
What is User Interface (UI) and how does it fit into User Experience (UX) and user-centered design? The goal of UI design is to make the user’s interaction as simple and efficient as possible, in terms of accomplishing user goals (user-centered design). However the way in which this is achieved is complex, and utilises many different design processes.
Like all great designs, great UI is an interface which achieves complex tasks with simple efficiency. UI design focuses on anticipating what users might need to do and ensuring that the interface has elements that are easy to access, understand, and use to facilitate those actions. UI brings together concepts from interaction design, visual design, and information architecture. This has been the key to the success of thousands of products over the last few decades. A great UI has the ability to take your product to new heights, and below we will take you through the services Graphic Mint offer to bring the UI of your product to new heights.
User Interface (UI) Design
Here at Graphic Mint, we design UI for interactive digital products and services on desktop, tablet and mobile devices. We use best practices of interaction design, visual design and UX Design.
These methods are informed by user research, prototyping, wireframing and Usability Testing. Ease of interaction for users is the cornerstone of stellar digital product experiences. Graphic Mint’s rigorous process, adaptive client collaboration and attention to detail transforms your UI into a resolved UX.
UI Design Services
We design the visual style or skin of the application’s presentation layer. We start with conceptual ideation, then on to iterative rounds and reviews of visual design mock-ups. UI specification documents, style guides and diagrams help us or your dev team to easily implement the design.
Front End Development
Mobile and Responsive Design
Guarantee the integrity and image of the UI is maintained, irrespective of what devices or viewports are used with responsive designs. We ensure your digital product performs consistently across all platforms without expensively creating and maintaining multiple versions of a digital product.
User Interface Specifications
Support everyone involved in the implementation and maintenance processes with a series of UI specification documents, diagrams and style guides. We produce these documents including Quality Assurance (QA) reports with graded support charts for defining and maintaining organisational standards.
Define the layout and composition of the UI, extending to highly detailed specifications for margin sizes, typography, image and colour guides. We provide cohesive style guides for front-end design teams to easily implement and maintain the design. These are written to compliment the brand image of the digital product.
UI Design Benefits
- Digital products at all stages of maturity benefit from User Interface (UI) Design.
- User disappointment and costly, time consuming redesigns are avoided as usability, presentation and behaviour are fully addressed in the design process.
- Goals of both business and design teams are met via a combination of collaborative workshops, specification guides and ongoing testing.
- Style Guides communicate key design information to the Product Management and Development team regardless of previous experience with the project or User Interface (UI)
- Interactive wireframes imitate the look and behaviour of the User Interface (UI) to allow for sophisticated Usability Testing on real users.
- Prototypes are proven to reduce costs by uncovering errors and flaws with the usability and functionality of the product or service early in the development cycle.
- Low-fidelity prototypes are inexpensive and an essential asset to design teams in developing the initial concepts and features of the digital product or service.
- High-fidelity prototypes such as Interactive wireframes and mockups imitate the look and behaviour of the User Interface (UI). Such prototypes facilitate iterative updates based on stakeholder and user feedback, ensuring the product functions well and meets design goals.